Zum Inhalt wechseln

More Information: WinFuture xp-Iso-Builder
Seite 1 von 1

System Folders winnt.sif vs. .reg file

#1 Mitglied ist offline   Deof Movestofca 

• Gruppe: Mitglieder
  • Beigetreten: 24. Dezember 07

geschrieben 07. Juni 2009 - 11:34

I'm not sure if this would work (or how it would work if it does), but wouldn't it be better to rename system folders through winnt.sif rather than regtweaks.reg? If this is possible, it would make it easier to edit an invalid entry since the .reg file writes the new name(s) in hex. Second, the .reg file ties the names to the HKCU hive rather than making it system-wide. Thus, for many (if not all) system folders using the %USERPROFILE% variable, the system resorts to the original values for "All Users" and "Default User", but I don't know if this would be any different using winnt.sif instead. However, I seem to recall that when I (virtually) installed an earlier .iso, that it entirely ignored changes to ProgramFilesDir and CommonProgramFilesDir (which, in a somewhat unrelated issue, xp-ISO-Builder incorrectly identifies as the "Shared Documents" folder under "5 System settings> System Folders" tab) values from regtweaks.reg, but now work as I wanted them to after adding them to winnt.sif through nLite. Although it seems, if it makes any difference, that some renaming of folders should go under the [Unattended] section (e.g., TargetPath), while others should go in the [GuiUnattended] section (e.g, ProfilesDir).

I just hope this has all been more or less understandable. =OP

EDIT (Summary):
1) What's called the "Shared Documents" in 5 System settings> System Folders tab should probably be called "Common Files" (or "Program Files\Common Files" for consistency).
2) If possible to rename the system folders using winnt.sif and I'm right about it being easier to do it that way than through a .reg file, then it's my suggestion that xp-iso-builder (in some future version) do so.
3) If the software authors are not interested in following the above suggestion. I was wondering if there were a way to manually edit the winnt.sif file (for example, whether one can use variables such as %SYSTEMROOT% and %USERPROFILE% and, if it matters, which section one should place which changes).

Dieser Beitrag wurde von Deof Movestofca bearbeitet: 08. Juni 2009 - 03:57

Anzeige

Thema verteilen:

Seite 1 von 1

1 Besucher lesen dieses Thema
Mitglieder: 0, Gäste: 1, unsichtbare Mitglieder: 0